Family Preparedness Tips In Times of Disasters
Disasters are inevitable. We’ll never know when hurricanes, typhoons, or earthquakes will strike. That’s why the importance of being prepared in times of calamities should never be overlooked. So get your survival instincts ready because today, we are going to tackle all about calamity preparedness for the whole family. That said, let’s dive in!
Ensure There’s Enough Food for Everyone
There’s nothing worse than escaping from a raging storm only to find out that the food you bought won’t last for days. So always prioritize emergency food and make sure that they are enough for the whole family. This is important because there’s a high chance that fast foods and convenience stores will be closed for the time being.
Don’t Forget The Med Kit
Should there be an instance where you or a family member will be caught in an accident during the escape, a medical kit is your best friend for that. Make sure that all the essentials are there including bandages, gauze, rubbing alcohol, and some meds. And of course, don’t forget face masks and hand sanitizers too since we are still in the middle of a pandemic.
Camping Gear Essentials
If you are in a situation where there is no turning back, then prepare to get your camping gear ready. This is very important, especially when a typhoon or hurricane has completely wiped out your humble abode. Here are some camping gear essentials that the whole family can use:
- Tent - a camping tent is the perfect temporary shelter in such challenging times. So don’t forget to bring your pillows and blankets while you’re at it.
- Power packs - it can be really frustrating when your phone dies in the middle of the escape. So make sure to bring a power pack that has enough power for everyone’s gadgets.
- Portable cooking equipment - there’s a wide range of outdoor cooking equipment available in the market today. Be it a mini cooking stove or a BBQ grill, there’s plenty of cooking devices to bring for the whole family to use.
- Flashlight - let there be light! There’s a probability that your town’s electrical lines will be down because of the disaster. So don’t forget to bring a flashlight as well.
- Radio - it’s always an advantage to be alert for all the latest weather news and weather forecasts. And this is where a radio comes in handy. Your smartphone should also be enough as well since there’s already a built-in radio in it.
Always Be ‘In The Know’
Be alert even if the skies are still blue as of the moment. Listen to the news, ready your trusted contacts, know your town’s safest areas, and be vigilant even if danger is still yet to come. Acting late, especially if you are already in the middle of an earthquake or hurricane, is a recipe for disaster.
Stay Prepared, Stay Safe
We hope these calamity preparedness tips we listed above enlightened you and your family about the importance of survival. Do you also have some additional survival tips too? Feel free to share them in our comment section below.